Saturday, March 29, 2008

Equality = Mutual Respect

To start the weekend off I've decided to "play" with an idea from sketches in my notebook. The first image was literally a "doodle" while watching campaign TV...at this point TIRESOME campaign TV. This sketch was made the day after Barak Obama's speech on racism in America. Consequently "Equality" was on my mind. This is the first sketch:

After thinking about this concept for a few days while working on other things, I thought about how the colors and patterns might affect the message it presents.

Since "Gay Marriage" (o.k., o.k.)....Same-Sex Marriage (don't want to leave any one out) has been on my mind in an art-work kind of way recently. The colors in the Gay Pride flag just banged me on my head when I visited the People's Place Quilt Museum in Intercourse, Pennsylvania. (An amazing place if you are at all interested in sewing, Fabric or quilts.) The display in their window was a delightful moment.


This is their web site if you are interested:
http://www.ppquiltmuseum.com/

Anyway, I bought a few fat quarters of the window-displayed group of fabrics. It was so handy of them to put all the colors in one prepackaged group!

Bringing them home motivated another drawing in my sketch book:
As you can see I have decided to make this piece more about Marriage and Equality than simply about Gay Marriage.

Equality here is the primary emphasis behind the meaning of this work.

No comments: