Thursday, March 6, 2008

Man-Sized Girly Quilt























Man-Sized Girly Quilt
© 2007 Mark Patro
approx. 90"x114"


In July 2007 on a restless summer day, I decided to buy a new sewing machine having given the old one away. My goal was to make some curtains for my kitchen.



South West Quilt

2007 Karen Brehm


After my friend Karen won a ribbon at both the Howard County Fair and then a Blue Ribbon for "First Quilt" at the Maryland State Fair, I went to see the "Gees Bend" quilt exhibit at the Walter's Art Museum in Baltimore. It was during this visit that I decided to try my hand at quilting.

This adventure took me to a wide array of fabric sources and turned into discovering the brilliantly colored fabrics of Kaffee Fassett, a British fiber artist and fabric pattern designer. Shortly thereafter I discovered the cowboy fabric designed by Alexander Henry.

My training as a painter along with my interest in the human figure merged at this point and my work on this quilt began. Encouraged by one of my painting instructors, my work continued in the image-on-quilt direction.

There will be more...

1 comment:

Tristan Robin said...

I just love this quilt - it's a fun contradiction in styles - and the pansies in the corners are perfect! LOL

Nice job.

Tristan