Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Get Up Stand Up - Light Brigade Maryland

Light Brigade Maryland

It’s time to reclaim our voice in the American political system. We have lost most of our political power even while we retain (for however long it lasts) our right to vote. I have been stressed about this for a while, but like many others I am busy working, helping Parents of LGBTQ kids cope and trying to find time to sleep. I needed to do something more. There was a new project in the recesses of my mind but I didn’t quite know what it was yet. That was in late May 2012.

The new project for me started as a visually arrested moment while sitting on the sofa watching TV.  (Something I really don’t get much time to do.) I was glued to the tube like a kid looking for Santa Clause in the Christmas Eve sky.

Overpass Light Brigade, from Wisconsin, was on the evening news during the weeks leading up to the Scott Walker recall election. They make these large black panels pierced by white holiday lights. A group of them hold the panels on bridge overpasses as car lights streak through the dark night. The message read “Vote Walker Out.” 

Here in Maryland we (LGBTQ activists and our allies) have worked for more than five years now to get an inclusive “Civil Marriage Protection Act” passed through the Maryland General Assembly. It passed both houses this years and our Governor, Martin O’Malley pledged to sign it. He did and our opponents gathered enough signatures to take it to referendum.

I want this marriage bill to stay law in Maryland. 

So now, most of the proponents have joined forces as the coalition: Marylanders for Marriage Equality, while other local groups continue to work independently. 

Having personally been a part of the effort for many years to gain and then maintain civil rights advancement for my LGBTQ Community I felt the urgency a year ago to do something and to do it now. 

For many months allies were wandering Maryland aimlessly wondering when we were going to get to “Do Something.” PFLAG moms were standing up in public meetings saying we were wasting valuable time while resources sat unused. The coalition took note and engaged these allies. 

I noticed that some do not want to engage in the bureaucratic methods of the larger institutional "Gay Rights" organizations. Then in the fall of 2011 the Occupy movement broke out. Few of us took part in that movement, although some did. I felt a kindred attachment to their voice, but I was too busy with other things that mattered just as much.

That too seemed to be a realization for me. “Their” goal seemed to keep us all too busy with the minutia of life which effectively kept us distracted from purposely participating in our government or it kept us too busy from enjoying our life.  Most people I knew that had walked away from civic participation stated their need to “get their life back.” Civic participation does drain us of our meager resources and our time. And some people do not want to give these things up. “They” depend on that to divide those of us who work from a position of community activist.

Another realization I had that day was that I have been working for the advancement of my civil rights for the past 32 years. And even after participating in some fantastic achievements that have happened this year in our State Capitol and the two different county seats.  I realized that I haven’t taken a real vacation in the last four years. I am working harder now than I ever have and I feel broker than I have since I first left my parent’s home with very few possessions.

I want this marriage bill to stay law in Maryland. 

Bob Marley said it many years ago and Its time to say it again now:  “Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights…” and “don’t give up the fight.” Do you hear the rhythm? I know you do. I know you know this song as well as most.

Light Brigade Maryland is the outcome of that moment of visual arrest. It is the product of 32 years of community activism. It is the result of yearning to have the same rights that my heterosexual sisters, parents, nieces, nephews and cousins were born with.

I will be on bridges in full view of passing motorists from now until November the 6th stimulating interest in voting FOR question 6. We need to keep this law in place. LGBTQ people need this law and so do heterosexuals whether they know it or not. This law is about inclusion in so many ways.

I will repeat my friend Betty’s quote over and over again, “We have never gone backwards or lost anything by expanding inclusiveness in our society. We have always grown stronger as a community."
Now is the time to stand up to those who wish to take our hard won civil rights. Don’t wait for your neighbor to take care of it for you. They probably don't give a shit.

Get up now. Stand up, Dam it!.  Be the change. 

Join the Light Brigade Maryland on Facebook today and get yourself out on one of those bridges to communicate our message. 

 I want this marriage bill to stay law in Maryland, and so do you.

Light Brigade Maryland

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very well stated, Mark. I will stand up there with you.