Sunday, May 18, 2008

Star No. 1



Yesterday I traveled to Bowie to take a long-arm quilting training class at Special Occasion Quilts (http://soquilts.com). Julia has a wonderful APQS Millennium. She makes her own fabulous quilts and rents out time on her machine for aspiring long-arm quilters. I've decided to stoke my quilting desire and will be going back for more.

So, while I am working on completing the project of the year, which I hope to be finished by the end of August, I will also be working on smaller pieces to practice my machine-quilting skills.

This (smaller than my preferred work) wall-hanging sized piece, Star No. 1 (36.5"x40.5"), is made from a light weight muslin. I need practice with my "traditional piecing" skills as well.

My intention here is to quilt this piece and then paint on its surface. I have previously pieced painted fabric, but this time I will be painting after the quilt is assembled. I'll show you my progress in two episodes: once, after it is quilted and then again after it is painted.

No comments: