Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Studio Needs a name







Sitting on the sofa while watching the evening news my mind always wanders. My quilt books are cluttering the coffee table. Among them is my sketch book with yesterday's notes and tomorrow's hopes.

I'm thinking, as I flip through the pages, that I will finally be done with school in December--a fine arts degree in Painting. I'm also thinking I rarely paint any more. Except to design something with color.

I need to start pursuing my art work as if it were more of a vocation than simply the preoccupation that it is . I already call the first floor in our house:"the studio". The kitchen sees as much paint and fabric dye as it sees food preparation. The quilt piecing overwhelms the dining room table. Upon it sits my sewing machine, for almost a year now. The living room wall is where I paint and piece together my quilts. Its hardly the typical suburban house.

Needless to say I am energized with the merging of my painting and my new found desire to stitch together colorful fabrics.

I'm sketching while the taking heads on TV sound like the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon. Gay pride month is June and I am reminded that its time to put the flag out. I scribble and think about a quilted version of the flag. Quickly, I ink down a flag fluttering in the wind. Then water-color the stripes. The next step is to draw a life-size version on which I added acrylic colors. (The results are posted above.)

I'm not yet sure where this will all go. Maybe I should just follow the passion. I'll keep you posted.

Leaning in that direction, I bought the web site name Rainbow Quilt Studio. The website will manifest itself sometime in the future.

2 comments:

Myra said...

Wonderful creations!
I am not so artsy with my fabrics, but I love to quilt!

Practice Democracy said...

Each of us has his or her own vision, pursuing our passion is the most important aspect of making the things we make. Thanks for the kind words.